MTA operates local routes, long-distance intercity routes and demand response services cover a large county that includes the inland communities of Ukiah and Willits and the coastal communities of Ft. Bragg, Point Arena and Gualala. Transit Marketing and Mobility Planners collaborated to develop a Short Range Transit Plan and companion Marketing Plan for transit services throughout Mendocino County. The foundation of the planning process was an extensive market research and outreach effort that included:
- Onboard Survey of passengers on both local and intercity routes
- Ridecheck on all local routes
- Public meetings in Ukiah, Willits, Ft. Bragg, Pt. Arena, and Boonville
- Interviews with bus operators and front line staff
- Extensive stakeholder interviews throughout Mendocino County, including all senior centers, social service agencies, Mendocino College administration, elected officials and others.
- Consultants rode all routes and conducted personal interviews with riders
The SRTP included detailed service enhancement recommendations, mobility management strategies, and a detailed plan of marketing strategies for increasing ridership and revenues. Three financial scenarios were created to allow for the uncertainty surrounding both state and federal funding of public transportation.