Cliff Chambers of Mobility Planners, Selena Barlow of Transit Marketing and Phil McGuire of Innovative Paradigms, partnered to develop a Short Range Transit Plan and Marketing Plan for Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System (YARTS). YARTS is a three county transit system which provides both visitor and commuter transportation to Yosemite National Park, while also serving as a local transit link between the communities of Merced, Mariposa and Mono Counties. The project included an extensive data collection effort:
- Operations data review – review of routes along two corridors, schedules, on-time performance, ridership and productivity by run by season.
- Financial review based on agreements with the National Park Service, Amtrak, FTA 5311(f) and the three county partners. YARTS does not receive any formula funding.
- Institutional review including board size, governance, management and cost sharing options.
- In-depth interviews with YARTS bus operators and operations management.
- Quantitative passenger survey and qualitative passenger interviews: Stakeholder focus groups and individual interviews in each of the three counties, at Yosemite National Park, with YARTS board members, NPS staff and tourism industry representatives.
- Comprehensive marketing review and customer experience audit.
The project resulted in a comprehensive 5-Year Plan which included detailed service, marketing, institutional and partnership plans. The marketing plan was supplemented by the development of a variety of marketing tools including new graphics for the buses and bus stop signs, passenger guides, promotional brochures, posters and at-the-stop information displays.
This work was completed when Cliff Chambers was Principal of Transit Resource Center.
Key Staff: Cliff Chambers, Selena Barlow and Phil McGuire
Project Budget: $118,000
See full project: